Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rue du Moulin 32

Perhaps one of the best ways for me to communicate what living in Brussels is like is to describe my neighborhood, and show you what my flat looks like. It's not much, but I'm honestly just really glad to have a bed to sleep on and friends to live with. Welcome to Rue du Moulin 32.

It's a side street, slightly tucked away from the main roads, though it doesn't stop drivers from acting like they are in NYC. Walking down the street so many times now, I've noticed the little glass tiles on the drains before every door, the old-fashioned boot-scrapers hidden in the walls to get rid of dirt, and the rather obvious hospital across the street. This could certainly prove useful someday (though hopefully we won't test that theory), and thankfully they don't turn on sirens until a few streets later. Enter the first floor! An exciting world, containing the post-box where mail was dropped off, an unused room and the kitchen! Our kitchen is rather..unique. An interesting mix of fridges, a table built into the wall with brightly colored various chairs clustered around it, a huge shelving unit that was not meant to be used by 13 people, two stove tops, one microwave and one sink. It gets a little cramped sometime, but in an oddly enjoyable way of knowing you have neighbors.

Downstairs are the three showers and extra freezer, and upstairs are all the rooms! I live in a double, but it's honestly closer to a single- we lucked out and have a door that divides our room in half. I love my giant window. It's probably my favorite thing here: waking up to sunlight streaming in, working at my desk at looking out over the courtyard onto brightly colored houses. Other than that, I have a bed, sink and mirror, desk, armoire for hanging things, and a very strange metal cubby-like container that I'm putting my clothes in.
View out my window- you can't see in this one, but the houses in the back are all reds, pinks and yellows


The other half of my room, and the door to my roommate's side!
So that's the house! There are another three stories, I'm exceedingly lucky and live on the first floor, so I didn't have to carry my suitcase of six flights of stairs. Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, the district I live in, is distinctively known as a Turkish area, so we have a whole lot of immigrants here, and a whole lot of Turkish restaurants. If you walk down the main street I take to get to Jardin Botanique, you will easily pass five or six, including kabob/gyro places. There's an adorable-looking café called Antoine's that I want to visit soon, and also my favorite place- the boulangerie.

In English, it's just a bakery, but it seem to me that boulangerie captures the place so much better. The front is all glass, letting you look inside at the beautiful display. Cakes and tarts fill the windows, some layered with chocolate, others bursting with fruit; there are even tiny cups full of what looks like chocolate mousse. Step inside and it gets even better- the wall behind the counter is full of bread- long, narrow baguettes and large round loaves, flat turkish bread, croissants and pain-au-chocolate. On the counter, beneath gleaming glass lie mini-fruit tarts of strawberries and cream, chocolate éclairs, croissants with cream, and more. Hopefully you now understand why this is my favorite shop on my street! I've only gotten bread there so far, but someday, for a special occasion, we plan on buying one of those delicious cakes in the window to eat together.

Two days ago I found what is now my favorite view of Brussels, and it was completely by accident. I was going to a museum exhibit on Brazil (which was incredible by the way, next world travel trip, South America?), and while finding my way there through the city, I encountered some really cool steps. Intrigued by them, the statues all around, and some funky white-washed trees, I climbed up to an incredible view. The day was bitterly cold, and crystal clear- I could see the entire skyline! The top of the Roi d'Espagne, a church Cathedral spire, houses and more.


I also discovered, upon climbing some more steps, this awesome row of houses with the coolest architecture:

That's what I'm growing to love about this city- explore, turn a corner and you find something new and unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment